Web hosting means to buy or lease space on the World Wide Web with the purpose of housing websites. In simpler words, the assigning of space by a web hosting service provider with the purpose to help the websites store their files is called web hosting. For the audience to be able to access the files and view them online, the files need to be stored on the web. Web hosting helps in storing such files. There are various types of web hosting. We differentiate the types of web hosting on the basis of technology in use. In addition to technology, we differentiate the types of web hosting on the basis of management of the website. Furthermore, we differentiate the types on the basis of extra services that a user requires.
TYPES OF WEB HOSTING:
Shared web hosting:
When a web hosting service is of hosting several websites simultaneously by using a single server, it is called shared web hosting. A shared server allows lots and lots of websites to be hosted at the same time. The cost is quite low as the resources get shared by all the websites on the server. It is quite easy for users to get their own space here.
Advantages of shared web hosting are as follows:
One can have a lot of websites in its users’ directory. The only thing they need to keep in mind is that all the domains of the various websites must be connected to the server. It helps such enterprises which have different websites for different niches by allowing them to host all of their websites at one place with ease.
It allows dynamic websites to get hosted. Dynamic websites mean the websites which look different in eyes of different users like Facebook, Quora, etc. Such websites use programming languages like Python, Perl, etc. which can easily be used on a server that is shared.
Economical and flexible:
If you need a cost-effective web hosting, shared web hosting is the one. It has quite low costs as many people are sharing the server hence sharing the cost as well. Shared web hosting is very flexible while changing the plans making it easy for the users to work.
Shared web hosting gives the benefit of the administrative tasks getting taken care of by the host itself. It reduces the burden of tasks on the users giving them time to work on their strategies and websites. It also provides the users with professional assistance for any technical issues which really helps the users to understand the functioning better.
Shared web hosting is user-friendly hence it is very easy to manage it. It is quite easy to set it up as it provides a control panel to manage the entire administrative tasks.
Things to always check while choosing a web hosting service are uptime, traffic, speed, support, control panel, one-click optimization.
Dedicated web hosting:
When multiple servers or one server are entirely dedicated to a single business customer for their working, it is called dedicated hosting. The customer has complete control over the server. The businesses can optimize it as per their needs. For security motives and better performance as well, the enterprise can optimize it.
Following are the advantages of dedicated web hosting:
Dedicated web hosting provides its users with easy customizing options making it easy for the users to customize their server as per as their needs.
Resources not shared:
Since dedicated web hosting is entirely dedicated to one user, the resources of the servers do not get shared. This gives the user all the benefits of the server without their server slowing down as there is less load on a single server.
The entire control of the server lies with the user in dedicated web hosting. They can freely decide which tools and features they want to use for their website and which they do not.
High performance and security:
With dedicated web hosting one can maximize their uptime. A dedicated server is more reliable than shared server as it reduces the chance of some malicious website sharing the server. Dedicated servers provide its users with 24/7 customer support along with enhanced security.
Reseller web hosting:
Reseller web hosting is a form of web hosting where the host allots its users hard drive space and bandwidth which allows them to host websites on third parties’ behalf. The term reseller is self-explanatory. It simply means someone who purchases the host’s services in wholesale. They purchase it with the purpose of selling it to some third party for earning profit.
Following are the advantages of reseller web hosting:
- Reseller web hosting is very economical. It provides the users with all the features that a dedicated or shared web hosting does at very cheap prices as the users resell it too.
- Reseller web hosting also helps in generating income as the user can resell the extra space on their website to other users.
- A user of reseller web hosting need not worry about the maintenance. They can simply reply on efficient technical support provided by the host.
Virtual web hosting:
Virtual web hosting uses a virtual private server (VPS). It is to some extent taken as a step above the shared hosting and dedicated hosting setup where the websites enjoy their own server. Regardless of having multiple users, VPS by using virtualization technologies provides its customers with their private server.
Following are the advantages of Virtual private server (VPS):
- A virtual private server is very reliable as it does not affect the functioning of a server if its user is on some other server as it keeps all the servers’ working secluded from each other.
- The virtual private server allows its users to enjoy full control over their own server and they can make changes in the server as per as their choice and needs. Along with the management of their server on their own, it also provides them with technical support in case of confusions.
- The virtual private server does not share its resources with other users so you can have it entirely for yourself allowing you to use the security tools of your choice. It provides its users with enhanced security.
- A virtual private server is very cost-effective as it shares the same server and yet giving its users separate space to do their work.
- On the virtual private server, one can easily do scaling up and scaling down and that too very quickly as per as their changing needs.
Managed web hosting:
Managed web hosting means the type of web hosting where a hosting service provider leases the users a dedicated server and manages it on the behalf of the user.
Following are the advantages of managed web hosting:
- Managed web hosting is cost-effective as it eliminates some additional costs that unmanaged web hosting requires.
- There is no need for a separate customer support team as the technical professionals of managed web hosting provide 24/7 customer support on their own.
- Managed web hosting provides with experts who help users with different aspects of their goals and strategies.
- It also provides quality security by running a virus scan, filtering spam, etc. and keep the website secured from any attacks by malicious websites.
- Managed web hosting provides its users with daily backups which reduces the tension of losing the data and files.
- Managed web hosting keeps the website’s efficient work up all the time. It keeps a watch on things happening on the server and correcting if anything goes.
Cloud web hosting:
Cloud web hosting is one of the types of web hosting which uses cloud resources to make the websites accessible to the audience.
Following are the advantages of cloud web hosting:
- Cloud web hosting is cost-effective as it eliminates the need for buying your own hardware.
- Cloud web hosting provides scalability meaning that the scaling up and scaling down can be done quickly and easily.
- The ease in scalability enhances the performance in the cloud web hosting as it also manages and balances the load of multiple servers.
Grid web hosting:
Grid web hosting means a type of web hosting which gives its users the benefits of grid computing abilities.
Following are the advantages of grid web hosting:
- Grid web hosting is flexible as in this a user uses one machine separately. It increases reliability. Because it does not let the overall performance have any bad effect after the failure of a single node.
- Since intergrids support grid web hosting, it offers good security.
There are a few more types of web hosting like home server, colocation web hosting, and clustered web hosting. One should always choose from the types of web hosting wisely. The choice should be based on the work they do on the website. Along with what technological things does the website require.